Here lies a written and chronological record of a trip I will be enjoying/tolerating in the United States of America. I am making my way around this vast country via various methods of transport with the sole aim of making fun for myself. My departure from this English realm is due on the 12th day of January. April 11th is a date on my return ticket. Between those days you may experience feelings that you may have never felt in your lifetime. Extreme joy and inner peace are such reactions.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

My name's Adam Marshall; People call me Adam Marshall

The last few days have been busy busy busy. Much traveling was the order of the days with one sole mission: to come back and bore you with the details.

I went to Kentucky with bro and sis-in-law. We went to the 'longest cave in the United States' apparently. Gosh. Whilst we trekked round it some, I was trying to think of a comeback to my brother, Ross, who chose to accept my invitation to poke fun at my 'grand nez' a couple of posts ago. "What could I possibly write", I thought as we shuffled our way through a particularly narrow part of the cave, "to inflict as much misery on him as he did on me". The answer appeared to me from the darkness:


South Carolina, South Carolina, South Carolina gal prowl off, gal yuh fi jump and prance. Those lyrics (thanks to lyricsdepot.com), if you wish them to be so, can be interpreted with accompaniment of the music by Shaggy for his song 'Oh Carolina'. One thing I noticed about this state is that they are big fans of shrimp (or prawns, as they are more sensibly called) down there and thusly many seafood restaurants can be found. The locals, being the comedy geniui that they are, choose 'amusing' and 'whimsical' names for these eateries. Examples that may or may not exist are 'Big Shrimping', 'Bring out the Shrimp', and 'Shrimping ain't easy'.

I had a shag in Charleston.


This picture will I'm sure clear up any confusion and doubt caused by the unlikely claim made above it.

In Savannah, Georgia I went to a place called Chippewa Square. This was the locale for the scenes in Oscar winning film Forrest Gump where Hanks is seated on a bench talking to the numerous strangers who are unfortunate enough to sit next to him. That particular bench is no longer there unfortunately, but the square is, so I thought it wise to take the opportunity to recreate the scene:


That's not a box of chocolates on my lap by the way. It's my hat. Makes you ponder though eh? What if? "My momma used to say life is like a hat; you wear it on your head, and sometimes they have a bobble, and Adam Marshall's is black". Maybe it doesn't work quite as well, but it's certainly something for Robert Zemeckis to consider if he ever makes Forrest Gump 2.

Also in Georgia I went to Atlanta (which isn't the lost city under the ocean, idiot) which was too busy creaming off over Coca-Cola, Ted Turner, and the fact that they held the Olympics 10 years ago to notice me.

Mission accomplished.

(By the way, for those of you interested, I added some extra comments and photos to my last post. Enjoy.)

Kind regards.

Adam Marshall

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

was your first shag everything you would have wanted it to be

6:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home