Here lies a written and chronological record of a trip I will be enjoying/tolerating in the United States of America. I am making my way around this vast country via various methods of transport with the sole aim of making fun for myself. My departure from this English realm is due on the 12th day of January. April 11th is a date on my return ticket. Between those days you may experience feelings that you may have never felt in your lifetime. Extreme joy and inner peace are such reactions.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

This and that; Bits and bobs; Odds and sods. Ha! I said 'Sod(s)'

Despite recent criticism, and with the benefit of Simon Hill's indefatigable (I'm reading Dickens at the moment, it's rubbing off) support and backing, I reenter the blogging stage with what has the potential to be my very most dull post of the trip thus far. Mercifully, I shall keep things short and bullet pointed, just like Alex Di(a)mond. I don't know what that means, but I like it.

(Please note: this is gonna be super mundane. In fact, it may be an idea for people to avoid it like they would avoid John Baker. Don't expect for the emotions deep in your bosoms to be aroused. The warning has been made clear. Please take heed.)

Things that I have meant to say in previous posts but for some reason forgot/neglected to do so:

- When in one of the, shall we say, dodgier parts of New Orleans a car pulled up a long side me with four black youths of seemingly unscrupulous character seated in it. They wound down their windows and beseeched me to "Give us all your money". Not being acquainted with such a situation I simply laughed and walked onwards. It seemed to work, and thusly I recommend that if you are ever caught up in the same scenario, just do the same.
- Have you ever heard of 'the Man Show'? Have you ever heard of 'the Jimmy Kimmel Show'? The host of both of these programs is a man by the name of Jimmy Kimmel. Whilst in New York I was predictably strolling around the Kodak Theatre and I spotted the aforementioned Kimmel. Making sure it was him I asked, "Aren't you that Jimmy guy off the telly". He nodded his assent and we chatted for a short while. This 'short while' included sufficient time to scalp this photograph:
The guy on the right is saying, "Adam Marshall and his infernal blog can go to heck."
The guy on the left is saying, "What's a Jimmy Kimmel?"
- I was fortunate enough to stagger into a bar in Philadelphia that was selling bottles of Miller Lite for just 50 cents. I had many. It was like the old fashioned Miller Times that I have become accustomed to, except not as good because my good friend Scott John Miller was notable in his absence.
- This was the first of two occurrences where I have laid my thoughts with Mr. S. J. Miller. The second occurred during my viewing of Brokeback Mountain. I realised that MillerTime strikes a spitting image of Oscar nominated actor Jake Gyllenhaal. Especially, I should predictably add, when he is being unceremoniously rogered by Heath Ledger.
- Back here in Nashville I made a new 'bud'. The resident dog, Butler, is my new man's best friend. To overuse a phrase, he strikes a spitting image to Colin. Not my Uncle Colin, who has popped up on many occasions during this blog to offer an amusing word or two in the comments, but Colin the dog from the sitcom Spaced. See hither said resemblance:
"His breath smells like dog food", he moaned.
"What do you expect, it's all I eat", Adam replied.
- I don't like Scientologists, and after the heated debate I had with one of them in one of their museums last month, I doubt they like me too much either. I think that Scientologists are idiots. Also I hate them.
- Happy Birthday to my brother Ross on February 26th. Happy Mother's Day for last Sunday, that's to my mum. Well done to Vicky for becoming a 21 year old.
- I have been rethinking my entrance music. I realise that in Herb Alpert's 'Spanish Flea' I have pretty much achieved perfection but hear me out. I'm thinking that 'Hundred Mile High City' by Ocean Colour Scene would do a job. However, what I really want to do is take on an 80s gimmick just so I can use 'Money for Nothing' by Dire Straits. Imagine the crowd popping when that babe starts up. Plus Mark Knopfler is a University of the West of England alumni, so finally I'd be giving something back to the institution that served me so well.
- I went into a shop the other day with the full intention of buying two pairs of jeans with a waist measuring in at 34 inches. I exited the shop with two pairs of jeans, each displaying a label claiming that the size of the waist of said jeans was in 32. Ha! I didn't get fat after all. Boo sucks to all those who doubted me. And mum, you can't use the 'Well the sizes are usually bigger in the States' excuse, because an inch is an inch is an inch where ever you go. Me = winner.
- I finally got around to having a shave. Turns out that I had a 'soul patch', something that I had never adorned before. I am indeed now a man. If you don't know what a soul patch is don't worry, it is the small patch of hair that grows just under your bottom lip. The only reason I know this is because Neighbours once had an episode where the main subject was Stuart's soul patch. The episode title was something like 'Bless My Soul...Patch'.
- J20 Jonny Down now has a blog. It's a fascinating read and can be found here: http://www.blogger.com/profile/19152351.
- Also, some wag started this website: http://www.ihateadammarshall.com/. However, it appears not to be functioning at this time. Shame that.

Sorry. Serious.


Kind regards I guess.

Adam Marshall

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you really see Jimmy Kimmel in New York or are just making sure we havn't fallen asleep and did you really mean Los Angeles?!

7:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home