Here lies a written and chronological record of a trip I will be enjoying/tolerating in the United States of America. I am making my way around this vast country via various methods of transport with the sole aim of making fun for myself. My departure from this English realm is due on the 12th day of January. April 11th is a date on my return ticket. Between those days you may experience feelings that you may have never felt in your lifetime. Extreme joy and inner peace are such reactions.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

78th Academy Awards

Question: Is there anything more boring than me talking about the Oscars?

For those of you who answered, "No", stop reading now.

For those of you who answered, "Yes. Reading the entirety of this blog", as much as I enjoy your integrity and gall, die.

For those of you answered, "Yes, of course. Have you never heard tennis on the radio before", I like you. You can stay.

Here are the OFFICIAL Midnight Devil Oscar predictions for tomorrow evening.

1. Jon Stewart is gonna be hella funny.
2. Rachel Weisz is gonna be hella pretty.
3. Adam Marshall is gonna be hella arrested when he tries to break into the Kodak Theatre and steal the Oscars statuettes.

BEST PICTURE:
What will win: Brokeback Mountain
What should win: I'd go with Good Night, And Good Luck. I've had the good fortune of seeing all five nominees. Good Night, And Good Luck was the best film out of the bunch as far as I was concerned. Mind you, as long as Crash doesn't win, I'll be content.

BEST DIRECTOR:
Who will win: Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain
Who should win: Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain. I think that he deserves it. It's a pretty handy film in parts, and it looks really nice. If I was being hyper critical of Brokeback I'd give Clooney the prize, simply because Clooney chose not to show me Heath Ledger buggering Jake Gyllenhaal.

BEST ACTOR in a LEAD ROLE:
Who will win: Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Capote
Who should win: Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. Wow, what a performance. Truly brilliant. No way he's not winning this. Ledger was average. Phoenix I liked as Johnny Cash, and Strathaim was impressive. I'm told Terrence Howard could nip in as an outside bet. Alas, I've yet to see his performance.

BEST ACTRESS in a LEAD ROLE:
Who will win: Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line
Who should win: Judi Dench for Mrs Henderson Presents. I actually think that Witherspoon did a fine job as June Carter and she deserves it. However, the thought of her actually having an Oscar. Eeeewwww. The same goes for Knightley, Theron for a second time, and the Desperate Housewife. Slap it on Dench. Why not.

BEST ACTOR in a SUPPORTING ROLE:
Who will win: Matt Dillon for Crash
Who should win: Jake Gyllenhaal for Brokeback Mountain. This contest intrigues me. I wish I'd seen more of the performances. Apparently William Hurt is haunting. Giamatti I'd like to see win in the future as Best Actor in another career defining role that he's likely to pull out. Clooney: nah. Gyllenhaal was thoroughly good I thought, but he should defo be in the 'lead role' group. It's a cop out dropping him in here in my very humble opinion. And please, please, please, please, please; never give an Oscar to Matt Dillon.

BEST ACTRESS in a SUPPORTING ROLE:
Who will win: Amy Adams for Junebug
Who should win: Catherine Keener for Capote. I think that Keener is excellent as 'To Kill A Mocking Bird' author Harper Lee. Williams is adequate as pissed of wife of a gaylord. I'm told Adams is impressive and McDormand is a bit of an Oscar darling. Also Weisz should win on sex appeal alone. Tough call deciding this one. Another tough call will be when I ring up Weisz to ask for her hand in marriage. She'll say yes. I know it.

BEST SCREENPLAYS, ORIGINAL/ADAPTED
What will win: Crash/Brokeback Mountain
What should win: Match Point/Munich

Now, I have done predictions for all of the awards but we don't need to discuss them now. I'll let you know how I did. Maybe you should do the same. Ok, don't bother. A couple of quick mentions though. I'd love to see Batman Begins pick up CINEMATOGRAPHY, but I wouldn't be upset if Brokeback Mountain does. "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from Hustle & Flow should win BEST SONG, just for it's title. And as I'm now an expert in knowing about DOCUMENTARIES (a documentalist, if you will) Darwin's Nightmare and God Sleeps in Rwanda will nab them, simply because of the subject matter. From the clips I saw of the films I'd deliver to Street Fight and The Death of Kevin Carter.

Kind regards.

Adam Marshall
Documentalist

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

howdi partner.
As everyone has stopped leaving comments, bunch of so called friends, I thought I would leave my two peneth worth. Enjoying your predictions although my vistations to the Movies this year have been extremely limited, pretty much stopping at H.P and Narnia, I believe both missed out on nominations this year, scandolous. Anyways, Enjoy tonight and I will catch up with y'all next week.

5:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a few words to say enjoy your evening and get as many pics as possible. Just like b diddy I found but your predictions interesting but for someone who got 0 out of 5 in the quiz you recommended and who hasn't seen any of the films I'll decline to make any of my own.
Good luck in the Hostel quiz!

6:14 PM

 
Blogger The Midnight Devil said...

Please excuse my ignorance. But what or who is a 'b diddy'?

Thanks

7:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home